I am so excited about this guys! I am currently in the process of making the ULTIMATE WordPress plugin for book bloggers! It will basically contain everything you could ever need to make your book blogging life easier and more awesome! Below is a list of features I plan on having so far. Some of these you may have seen me advertising already, but some of them are BRAND NEW!
- Automatically updating review indexes. That’s right, these indexes ALL update 100% automatically! You can display the index by using a shortcode on any page you want. There are four different shortcodes, one for each kind of index: sorted by book title, by author’s last name, by series, and by date/year.
- Automatically updating giveaway widget. A widget that automatically displays your current giveaways, and then removes them from the widget when the giveaway is over. You never have to manually update this widget!
- Automatically updating “this month’s reviews” widget. A widget that automatically displays cover photos of the books you’ve reviewed this month on your blog, and links to each post.
- Automatically updating review goal widget. This widget allows you to set a goal for an amount of books to read that year, and then displays a progress bar to show how far along you are on your goal. You never have to update this widget yourself! (See the top right of my blog for an example )
- An advanced blogroll. You have a custom area in the back-end of WordPress where you add a new blog to your list. There are fields to fill out like blog name, blog URL, button URL, etc. Then all the entries get automatically generated into HTML and automatically displayed on your blog in a widget. There will be many options for how you want the blogroll widget to be displayed: in a textual list, or a rotating image marquee. Here’s what mine looks like right now. The screenshot shows the admin area and the blogroll page. The one in this plugin will be slightly different, but that’s just an example!
- Easy book information display. Click here to see an example. On the post creation page, you have boxes to fill out for book title/author/series/etc., and then all that information gets automatically generated into HTML and inserted into your book review posts. This way you don’t have to format the HTML each time!
- Easy book ratings and related ratings. The rating plugin I talk about in this post will be included! Check the link for full details.
- Custom taxonomies where you can input the book author and/or series, and then have special indexes for those tags. For example:
- Here is what it looks like in the back-end. You can see how there are different boxes for tags (already there by WordPress default), authors, and series.
- Here’s what it looks like on the review display page. Notice how there are links to go to the book author, the series, and then there is an automatically generated list of other books in the series.
- When you click on the author link, you get taken to a page like this. You see all posts by that author, along with an author bio. All the posts are generated automatically and you only have to manually fill in the author bio and add a photo (both of which are optional).
- My new book review statistics plugin will be included. Check it out and download it here!
- More to come!
This is my list of features so far, but I am 100% open to suggestions! I’d LOVE to know if you guys can think of anything that I’ve left out! Please let me know in the comments section. I can make shortcodes for just about anything, and can make almost any WordPress widget or feature update automatically! Just le me know!
Since the list is so extensive, I will be charging for this plugin. I don’t have a price yet, but it will probably be around $35 USD.
It will probably take me a while to finish this and put it all together, but hopefully it will be done by the end of January or mid-February! It depends on how many features I end up adding.