I’m super excited to announce the launch of a website I’ve been working on for a while now!
BookBlogging.net is a new community and directory for book bloggers! Although I plan on expanding it more in the future, right now it has two key aspects:
The directory of book blogs
So there are a lot of book blog directories out there.. blah blah.. what’s new?—right? Well, I don’t like the blog directories out there. Harsh, maybe, but it’s true. I don’t find them helpful to search through. It’s just a bunch of names on a page—usually alphabetized. Then they all die after a few weeks/months because one person (or a small group) has to maintain the list.
I wanted to change this!
For starters, bookblogging.net will allow anyone to sign up and immediately add their blog using a simple form. Each user can then edit or delete his/her blog at any time! This means the website is updated automatically by the users—not just by one individual! Now we’re rolling!
When a user adds his or her blog, they ‘tag’ it with any keywords they want. The keywords describe the content of the blog, the features they have, and/or their blogging style. So for Nose Graze I might set my keywords to:
young adult, wordpress, coding, blogging tips, dystopian, contemporary, real life, spazzy, romance, reviews, discussions, erotica, informal
Then when users search through the directory, they can select the keywords they’re interested in, and find all blogs tagged with those keywords! That way, the user isn’t just looking through a list of names. Instead, they filter the blogs down to exactly what kind they’re interested in!
I started working on the website, and it started to turn into more than just a directory.. it turned into a whole community. I added an entire social aspect to the site that I didn’t expect at first. Right now, users can:
- Add their blog(s) to the directory
- ‘Like’ blogs
- Create profiles and upload avatars
- Post status updates
- Send friend requests
- See which of their friends like a particular blog
- Post on the community forum
- Join groups
- Search for other bloggers by country/state
I’m really hoping to maintain a separate blog on bookblogging.net. I have a vision where I have tons of co-bloggers and we all post updates on the blogosphere, chat about blogging, and spotlight/interview other bloggers. Until I find people interested in helping out, I’ll be trying to get it up and running by myself. But if you’d be interested in helping out, you can apply to be a blogger.
And more features coming soon!
I have a lot more exciting features planned, including:
- An entire system for trading books. Like eBay, but for trading (not selling)! Easily post a book up for trade, anyone can ‘bid’ on it, and you accept the offer you like most! Collect cool statistics on how many books you’ve traded.
- An events database. Anyone will be able to add events (whether real life events or online events). Select an event type (book signing, twitter chat, convention, etc.) and a location (state/country or twitter/facebook/etc.). Then users can filter the results to find events they’re interested in.
- I may also create directories for memes and blog tour companies.
What are you waiting for? join today!
(And don’t forget to tell your friends. ;))