Recently I asked my readers if image sliders are worth having, and today I’m going to share my findings from both the poll and the discussion that followed.
In most cases, you should not have an image slider
The poll results show that only 16% (19 out of 123 people) really like image sliders. The rest of the 84% either “sometimes like them” or flat out don’t like them. The comments from the discussion include:
- People don’t like image sliders because they slow down the page.
- People already subscribe to the blog so they don’t “need” image sliders. They just always view the latest post.
- Many bloggers don’t spend time making really high quality slider images. They just use the book cover and it’s often not even in banner dimensions, so it’s pixellated or doesn’t fill the whole space. This makes the slider look very unattractive, and thus not worth having.
Image sliders cater to first-time visitors
Usually the only people who will appreciate an image slider are those visiting the blog for the first time. They’re more likely to poke around and want to have a quick “overview” of some of your hot posts. On the other hand, regular visitors (subscribers) just want to see the latest posts. They don’t need to constantly see your highlighted posts, because they’ve probably already read them. They just want the latest content.
I decided to remove my image slider
After looking at the poll results, seeing what others had to say, and factoring in my lack of desire to actually make the images any longer, I decided to remove my image slider. I cater more to regular visitors than I do to first time ones. I also think that my tabbed overview on my homepage (showing latest, popular, and upcoming posts) is more useful, lightweight, and less intrusive than an image slider.