I hate it when I subscribe to a blog via email, then I start getting excerpts in my inbox.
Excerpts to blog posts with a “read more” link. Or sometimes just a link saying, “I have a new post about x! Click here to read!”
I signed up so I could get your blog posts in my email. I did not sign up so you could make me click through to your whole blog EVERY SINGLE TIME.
I signed up so I could be lazy and not have to visit your blog every time.
People are lazy. Let us be lazy or we’ll leave you.
- I’m lazy.
- I don’t want to leave my inbox.
- I hate clicking through to blogs on my phone (which is where I often read emails). So many sites still aren’t properly optimized for phones or just load slow as fuck.
I’m lazy, other people are lazy, let us be lazy.
If you try to force me to click through to your blog every single time, then I’m just going to unsubscribe. Unless your content is THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD to me, it’s just not worth the extra effort. Sorry.
I find that I skip emails (or posts in Feedly) that only show excerpts. Once I do that like 3-5 times, I realize I’m skipping everything and that’s when I unsubscribe completely.
There’s no reason to force people to click through to your site.
Honestly, I can only think of one reason to do this: you want more page views.
The only reason you’d be so desperate for more page views is if you have ads on your site and you need those page views to make money. But if you have ads on your site, you just gave me one more reason to NOT visit your site. I hate ads. They’re slow as fuck (see my previous comment about “loading slow as fuck” on mobile).
Or, you’re not doing email marketing. Why the hell not?
The only other reason I can think of is that you want me to visit your site in hopes of visiting your shop/services page to buy something, and that has an easy solution. Instead of sending me excerpts to your blog posts in an attempt to lure me into buying, send me marketing emails.
I’m 100% serious.
If you send me excerpts because you want me to visit other pages, then you’re not utilising email marketing, and you should be.
- If you only send me an excerpt and a “read more” link to your blog post, I will unsubscribe.
- But I will stick around and stay subscribed if you send me the full blog post AND the occasional marketing email.
That doesn’t mean you constantly send me marketing/salesy emails. You mix value with pitches.
This post isn’t ultimately about email marketing, so I won’t go into a ton of depth. That’s your job to read up on it. But as long as you send me valuable, quality content, I won’t mind if marketing and pitches are mixed in now and then.
You already have my email address. That means you have my attention. Don’t waste it.
- Don’t push me away by only giving me snippets.
- I gave you my email, the least you can do is keep me interested by giving me all your content in a convenient, easy-to-read place.
- Since you have my email, convince me to sell through the place that converts the best: my inbox. Don’t push me to go somewhere else.
- Send me the occasional marketing email along with your valuable blog posts and I’ll stick around. I may even buy something.