I’ve never been one to do a really hard sell (I’ve talked about this before), but this year it seems to have gotten worse and worse. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m no longer just bad at selling, I no longer just dislike selling… I actually kind of hate it.
- I hate trying to convince people to buy my stuff.
- Even more, I hate leading people to believe they NEED my stuff, when let’s be honest.. they don’t. They might want it, it might help them, but NEED? No. (I don’t really do this ‘leading’ myself, but I see it a lot from other people.)
- I hate seeing people buy my products or other peoples’ products when they really can’t afford them. If you’re struggling to pay your bills, please don’t go buying premium themes and e-courses. Too often I see, “I don’t even have the money for my next rent bill right now but I know I NEED your course and it’ll help me so much, so I went for it!” God, no.
- I hate advertising my products or my services. My personality is more the, “Throw it out there and let people buy if they feel like it” type. But advertising? Marketing? Ugh.
- I hate bribing people or manipulating people into signing up for my list or buying my products.
- I hate creating blog posts that, on the surface, sound like they’re trying to be helpful, but in reality they’re a lead in to buy my shit or sign up for this thing I’m an affiliate for. Was that post written to be genuinely useful? Or was it carefully crafted around the end goal of selling something? Who are we really helping here? The reader? Or myself?
I guess I feel like I’m in a weird place. In a way it kind of sucks to know that you’d be so much more successful if you did x, y, and z. I can practically see the path to epic success, I’m just choosing not to take it because it makes me feel gross.
So what does this make me? Doomed to fail? Shit at business?
Really I need to find some middle ground, I suppose. Although I’d like to think my business can do well with zero marketing and zero selling, that’s not really the case. I’m not even sure what my point is. Maybe I’m just complaining about the necessity of it. I hate that we need to lure people in, use mind games, create funnels, split test different fucking button colours, whatever.
The truth is: I’m tired. I’m so tired of money. I hate needing to stop and ask myself if this cool thing I’m making will actually bring in any money before I invest time into making it. Am I really cut out to run a business if money is the last thing I want to be thinking about?
Is 25 too soon for a mid-life crisis?