I’ve been thinking about offering an affordable web hosting service for book bloggers, specifically those who are looking to move from Blogger to WordPress. This would be a massive commitment and responsibility, so I wanted to find out if there was interest in this before thinking about it further.
My goal would be to create a web hosting service that is:
- Insanely easy to set up.. In fact, there’s NO set up beyond creating an account.
- Specifically targeted at book bloggers.
- Available WordPress support.
My (potential) web hosting services
I haven’t decided on a price yet, but I’m thinking around $3 or $4 per month for the cheapest package (with discounts if you pay yearly).
I would consider offering another package that includes WordPress help and support, and/or another package that includes the UBB plugin and all Creative Whim themes (except those designed by people other than myself, because that would get extremely confusing).
The benefits: why choose this service over BlueHost or another company?
The main benefit is that when you purchase an account on BlueHost, you’re sharing a server with like 500+ other people (some with 1000+). This can lead to slow servers, frequent downtimes, people hogging resources, etc.
With my service, I would purchase a brand new dedicated server, that you would share with only a few other people (depending on how many are interested). But it would certainly be less than 500.
Also, you would be paying for a service that is specifically catered to book bloggers. Your WordPress installation would come already set up with the plugins and configurations for book bloggers.
What I’d offer exactly
- I would probably run my service from one big WordPress multi-site installation. That means all you have to do is submit your payment and create your WordPress blog, just like you would do on the free WordPress.com. It’s so easy! You don’t even have to install WordPress!
- The downside is that users would not be able to upload custom themes and plugins themselves. But I would pre-install a wide selection of free themes and plugins, and also allow people to contact me with specific plugins/themes they want installed, and I would do that for them.
- The up side is that as soon as you create your site, it already comes pre-installed with plugins I deem necessary for book bloggers. This includes WordPress SEO, Comment Reply Notification, CommentLuv, etc.
- All WordPress updates are taken care of for you. You don’t have to do anything!
An affordable and hassle-free WordPress experience right out of the box
Some people are terrified of moving to WordPress. They don’t know how to install WordPress or buy web hosting or deal with domain names or install plugins. All of that would be done for you! I would even have a no-domain option if you don’t want to have to pay for your domain name. So instead of having your own name, you would have a subdomain (i.e. http://yourblogname.nosegraze.com — but not on Nose Graze).
Are you interested?
In order for this to be feasible, there would have to be a certain amount of people interested. I would be buying a dedicated server so I’d at least need enough people to cover the costs for that.