Every now and then I see someone who subscribes to my blog report the email as spam. This annoys me because the content of my emails are not spam and this person opted in to receive the emails. It’s not like I added them to a list without their permission.
Cases where it make sense to report as spam
- Someone you don’t know emails you about a product/viagra/Russian bride/etc. It’s spam.
- Someone adds you to their mailing list without your permission.
- You sign up to receive emails about books and they actually send you content about cheap airfare (or some other totally unrelated topic).
- You “unsubscribe” from a mailing list but continue to get emails.
Cases where it doesn’t make sense to report as spam
- You sign up for a mailing list where they’ll update you about new blog posts. You receive said blog posts.
It’s not spam if YOU sign up for something and then get exactly what you ask for. If you no longer want that content, that’s fine. That’s why the UNSUBSCRIBE button is there. But marking it as spam just because you’re lazy or feeling malicious is not cool.