A few weeks ago, I announced my new and upcoming Colour Coding e-course. This first e-course is all about learning how to make your very own WordPress theme. This e-course, which should hopefully be ready in late October, will be a paid course because of all the in-depth content and one-on-one time you’ll be getting.
But today I’m offering a FREE scholarship to one individual! This person will get:
- Access to all e-course lessons
- A manual review and critique of their progress after each lesson
- A personalized test site where they can see the development of their theme on a ‘real’ site
All for FREE! By the end of the course, you’ll have your very own custom-made WordPress theme. How snazzy is that?
What are the prerequisites?
This course is all about learning how to make a WordPress theme—it does NOT teach you about basic HTML and CSS. You’re expected to already know how to add your own CSS and style pre-made templates. But this course teaches you how to take the next step and use your HTML and CSS knowledge to build a WordPress theme from scratch. I’ll introduce you to the WordPress theme file structure and teach you how to use PHP to put it all together.
Here’s a run down of what you’re expected to know:
- Basic HTML tags like links, images, bolding, lists, etc.
- What div tags are used for and how to use them.
- How to add your own custom CSS to change fonts, colours, sizes, widths, backgrounds, etc. It’s also useful if you know how to use floats to align divs, though that’s not absolutely required.
- How to use the “Inspect Element” tool in your browser to find class names and IDs. This isn’t totally required, but it will be incredibly useful.
How does the e-course work?
When the e-course begins (estimated late October), you will receive access to about 10 different lessons. These lessons are pages that consist of text and image walkthroughs. I start from the beginning and show you how to slowly build up your WordPress theme.
At the end of each lesson, you will be able to download my copies of the theme files up until that point. This will help you stay on track and check your work. But you’re encouraged to change up the HTML and CSS to make it your own.
Also at the end of each session, you can send me your theme files for me to check and review. I’ll read them over and scan the files for any errors. I’ll give you tips and guidance where applicable.
I will also set up a private test site for you, which will serve as your own personal development environment. At the end of each session, after you send me your theme files, I will upload your theme progress to the test site. You’ll be able to see your theme live and in action!
What’s the lesson plan?
Right now there are 10 core lessons, but I’m considering adding a few advanced lessons at the end. Here’s what we’ve got so far:
- The structure of a WordPress theme
- Using PHP in WordPress
- Getting started with your first theme
- Setting up the header & column structure (main content area + sidebar)
- Functions.php, widgets, and a navigation bar
- Introduction to The Loop
- Adding PHP, pagination, and thumbnails to The Loop
- Formatting individual posts, comment forms, and pages
- Adding a footer widget area
Cut to the chase! How do I enter?
To enter for your chance to win this free scholarship, all you have to do is submit an application. This giveaway will run until October 12th, then I’ll select a winner and they will be notified. The actual e-course won’t begin until the end of October though (date to be determined).
So for your chance to win, just fill out this application and cross your fingers! Keep in mind that the winner selection will NOT be random. I’m going to be selecting someone who I feel put a lot of effort into the application, wants to get a lot out of the course, and is enthusiastic. This means you should put your best foot forward. Don’t just fill out the bare minimum required. Elaborate. Show me why you deserve this scholarship!
Oops! We could not locate your form.