It’s pretty rare that I make the decision to unfollow someone on Twitter, but it does happen now and then. Here are five reasons why I might unfollow you:
1. You have too many automated tweets
You know what my major pet peeve is? When someone has too many automated tweets get sent out for a new post. And they all get sent out at the same time. Here’s what I mean:
A person publishes a new post. Then the following occurs:
- WordPress automatically tweets about the new post.
- The new post gets automatically mentioned on Facebook.
- Facebook is set to sync with twitter, so a new tweet automatically goes out about the Facebook message (which was also about the blog post).
- Then there are one or two other automated messages that happen but I’m not sure where they come from *facepalm*
So in the end, we’re left with one blog post and 3-4 instant tweets about that blog post. Blergh.
I don’t want to call anyone out, so I’ll show you a fake example. But this fake example is actually based on a real screenshot I took, so the frequency and number of updates is something that really happens!
2. You’re constantly tweeting about giveaways
I don’t really enter giveaways. I used to right when I started blogging, but I don’t enter them anymore. So if you’re constantly tweeting about giveaways you’ve entered, I’m gone.
3. You go on a retweet spree
I don’t mind a few retweets here and there, but if you suddenly retweet like 5-10 messages in a short period of time, especially if they’re messages I don’t care about, I’ll stop following you. Sometimes a person will retweet like 10 sports-related messages/updates/scores and I’m just not interested.
4. All your tweets are automated
If every single one of your tweets is an automated link to a blog post, then I have no interest in following you. If I want to only see your blog posts, I’ll subscribe to your blog. But on Twitter, I want to see personality, life/book updates, and interactions.
5. You tweet about something REALLY REALLY REALLY bad
I think this has only happened like once… but an example would be if you tweeted about how you pirate books or think pirating books is okay. I don’t want to associate with someone like that.