I’ve been following the book blogging community for a while now. I’m interested in starting a blog myself, but the only blogging services I’ve heard of are WordPress and Blogger. I’m not really ready to commit myself to self hosting on WordPress.org, and I heard that WordPress.com is very limited. I also do not have a Google account, so I can’t use Blogger. Do you know any other sites where I can start a blog?
Hi Sharie! 🙂
Is there a particular reason you don’t want to create a Google account? I honestly wouldn’t recommend any other platform other than WordPress or Blogger. There are other options out there, but they are more limiting in terms of what you can do, and it will be more difficult to move off those platforms if you want to move to WordPress.org later on.
Other free blogging platforms
Here are a few of other blogging options:
- Medium — I honestly don’t know much about this platform other than the fact it exists. I have read a few articles written on the site.
- Tumblr — Limited in terms of design and features.
- Weebly — Weebly is a website and blogging platform. But it is very limited if you only go with the free option. To see what I mean, you can check out their plan comparison page.
But these options are not very future-proof
If your blog takes off, you’re going to want to migrate to self-hosted WordPress at some point. But the problem is that these other free blogging options are not widely used or very well supported, and thus it can be extremely difficult to migrate to WordPress.
- The migration that works almost seamlessly is from WordPress.com.
- The migration that works the second best is from Blogger.
- The migration that works the third best is from Tumblr (from what I’ve heard, I have not done this personally).
Weebly doesn’t migrate very well at all because it doesn’t have an easy export option. I’ve read stories of people having to migrate 10 posts at a time, then delete those 10 posts from Weebly, then keep going.
And as for Medium, well I suggest you read Kenneth Reitz’s post on Why I Left Medium.
If you’re dead set against having a Google account, I’d suggest WordPress.com